20041206

Hope.

The end, prom nite came and went. But the devil is in the details. It started off on a wrong foot, and almost ended up a disaster. But I guess the saving grace was not in the event itself, but what it meant to me and the rest of those I know.

Many saw prom as the end, graduation as goodbye and farewell. But I guess I got a better deal, making a new friend, hopefully a good friend, in one night. It started off rather coldly, but I guess all things take time. The photo-taking went like the flash of the camera, many snaps but soon it fades. Then I thought I had lost her in the crowd, or she had gone back to the room, and I had absolutely lost my chance to have the chat I had looked forward to all evening. But she didn't disappoint. The long walk to the Esplanade, the initial reluctance, we overcame. We talked, walked, sat, and talked some more. So many things I learnt in just two hours, and I so wish I had known her earlier. There was so much yet to be said, but I guess, the rest of it will have its own time and place. I hope to meet you again soon.

Sitting at the lobby at Conrad, I was stilled psyched up, and I'm just the luckiest guy around I guess. So many people popped by, and conversation was light, but poignant due to the inherent goodbye. Pamela and her uniqueness, Lingli (rest assured we haven't said our final goodbye) and ... , 'Mum', the scouts, the old classmates. I just sat on the sofa as the world popped by, alone at first but soon enough surrounded by familiar company.

0400, though not everyone appeared, it was still significant. Shows one thing, the scouts never play out. Never disappoint. And I guess the sense of virtue and honor which 01 instilled in us still holds strong, we are still the 'guys of honor'. No one can ever take that away.

Then silent walking, along the Esplanade, WWII memorial, Padang, City Hall, all the way back to the hotel. It was precious time spent on precious thought, memories. I have eluded sleep long enough, but in the process, found some hope, of something new and promising. I'm going to do my best to make sure this night has not gone to waste.

"Faith is, at one and the same time, absolutely necessary and altogether impossible."
Stanislaw Lem

No comments: