20041223

Tis the season, again



I'm feeling totally stoned. 8 hours sitting at the Aeromedical Centre, with a stupid machine blowing air into my eye every hour, to measure my eye pressure. Not only did I discover how boring TV programmes are in the morning, I have discovered Einstein's Theory of Relativity all over again. The PAINFUL WAY. Time really passes more slowly when all you got to do is nothing. At least found a new friend while stoning my time away, VJ's volleyball captain. I look like a complete joke next to the guy, who is buffed and looks ready to punch my lights out. Good luck in NDU bro.

At least tomorrow promises to be an interesting day, with a good dinner and something to do after it. Hope we can make it more memorable, last few chances to meet before I go in, and haven't seen you since prom. I have no idea what to give you for a present, so I hope you don't get me one, and make me look totally guilty and embarassed.

Mogilan comes out on Christmas day, the guys(tm) will probably surround him and find out more about army, and get to finally solve the mystery if the skin under all that hair on his head is truly as dark as the rest of him. Hope we can have a wonderful last meet at my place on the 31st, just like old times, like how we did when we were just getting into J1.

Just read about the bombing in Iraq, this one hitting the mess tent for the troops. It's odd, the season for peace is just around the corner and militants are taking the chance to hit out at the troops. US is closing the consulate in Surabaya because they are afraid that with Christmas, they are most likely to be bombed by militants. What respect these barbarians show for a peaceful celebration, and this gives proof of how stupid religion can make people become. The holier the day is on the religious calender, the more likely violence is about to break out, even if it's the celebration of peace and joy. What irony. Perhaps if we spent less time celebrating the birth of Jesus, and spent more time on actually building peace around the world, perhaps if we stop spending money on gifts for people we know and put that money in the hands of those who deserve it, perhaps if we just stop fooling ourselves in mindless beliefs which are more than 2000 years old and totally inapplicable in the world which exists now, and put that faith into people who actually do a goddamn thing in making peace possible today, we would have that world of peace and joy every damn Christmas carol goes on and on about.

The iconic hypocrite, I am. I have no idea how I'm going to build that peace and joy, even the chance seems slim. MM Lee just gave had a Q&A session to some foreign correspondent's society in Singapore, and damn if that the guy isn't the most well informed man this side of the world. Who ever heard of the Maastricht Agreement? He can talk about the state of the Euro, the state of Sino-Singapore relations, and the state of Myanmar with impeccable knowledge on all of them. Anyway, he was asked if Singapore would commit troops to Iraq, and to that he gave a flat no. Although the reason was valid, parents would probably object if their sons were forced to Iraq during NS, and the corp of regular soldiers are all officers, I couldn't help but feel a sense of disappointment. Singaporeans still can't give a shit about lending others that hand. I hope when I get in, maybe one man can make some things change, and that deployment may be more than just a dream. And wearing a blue helmet won't just be another unfulfilled promise to myself.

Charity sees the need not the cause.
German Proverb

No comments: