20041108

I am my father's son

It was on Saturday, after tuition when I had dinner with my dad, both of us sharing a meal. He talked to me about the issues for the family, especially my sister's dismal results. Previously, he has told me about the business opportunities, asked me for my views and what he planned to do. We talked about my future, most probably in the military, and at that moment, it may have seemed how similar I was to my father more than 2, 3 decades ago. He gave me his usual warnings about how the army works, that I must be academically accomplished or I will be a nobody. But through the warning, I heard the unspoken words, (perhaps my over-active imagination at work) "My son is turning out so much to be...like me."

I don't know the circumstances that led to my father joining the army, he may have done so out of necessity. But it may be just like mine, a genuine desire to help others, and at the same time, see the world. It would be an interesting moment, when I am the one in uniform, and my dad pins on my stripes. That would be a dream, not the President handing the sword of honor to me, but my father, and so I could salute the man who has done so much for me.

Would my family be proud of the course I have chosen in life? I do not know, but I know that they would be happy at least that I choose to walk my own path. To honor, and glory? No, I think something simpler would be more fitting. To ideals, and dad.

Don

No comments: