20050712

Not goodbye, just see you later


Just came back from the airport, sent off a classmate leaving for Australia. It was kind of like rojak, with her friends from secondary school, JC, church and CCA, plus her family to see her off. I guess it was very emotional for her, seeing so many people who cared about her all together seeing her off, and makes it all that much harder to drag oneself to the check-in counter, and bid everyone goodbye just one more time. So here's to you April, for being so brave to leave the only world you know for another, and best of luck in Melbourne.

I'm probably not going to reenact that scene on Monday, a quick goodbye suffices for me. Plus, I'm only gone a month or two, think I can live through that without saying so many goodbyes. And, I don't think I'll be able to survive seeing so many people who know me together in one place, think cardiac arrest would make me depart this world earlier than I could make it to my plane.

We always say goodbye thinking we'll never meet someone again, like that last chance we have to see each other is right there and then. I think we take too lightly the power of coincidence, and since Singapore is such a small place, bumping into each other is almost an inevitability. I think I'll make this promise out to anyone who I treasure most, that the next time we're leaving each other, I won't say goodbye. I'll say, "I will see you again, soon." That's a promise, on my honour.

Your brother in scouting,
Don

No comments: